Beauty Consultant on Skin Care Basics
If youíre like many women you are confused about how to choose the proper skin care. Or maybe you have some knowledge of what is available but you are not sure what is a good choice for you. Cosmetics come in many forms and deciding which is good for you is often a matter of personal taste. However, in order to make a good decision here is some basic information that you should know.
Cleansers: Are used to cleanse the skin of impurities and restore it to its natural oil balance.
Types of Cleansers
- Soap: Almost everyone uses it. If you have dry or oily skin be sure your soap is helping correct the problem. Medicated soaps are meant for acne and problem skin, hypoallergenic soaps are meant for sensitive skin and there are drying soaps for oily skin and oily soaps for dry skin. If you have problem skin it is best to see a dermatologist.
- Liquid Cleansers: Are made for all types of skin. A good cleanser goes deep into the pores to loosen and lift excess oil and makeup.
- Creams: Are used for dry skin
- Pad Cleansers: Are thick wad of absorbent material and are good for touch ups throughout the day.
- Grains: Are coarse cleansers that are used for oily skin
Refreshers: Are used to complete the cleansing process. They help tone; sooth and rehydrate the skin keep complexions clear and clean.
Types of Refreshers:
- Astringents: Are meant for oily and normal skin types. They usually have alcohol as an ingredient that will stimulate the complexion and close the pores. This is not a product to use on dry skin.
- Toners: Are mild refreshers and are meant for normal and dry skin.
- Fresheners: Are recommended for dry, sensitive or problem skin.
Moisturizers: Replenishes moisture and nourishes the skin.
Types of Moisturizers:
- Moisturizers for normal skin: Helps maintain the moisture in normal skin.
- Moisturizers for dry skin: Helps restore skinís natural moisture balance.
- Oil Control Moisturizers: Help control excess oil and prevent blemishes
- Emollients: Are rich creams suited for extra dry skin that replenishes the natural supply of the skinís oil. This moisturizing cream forms a protective shield that minimizes moisture evaporation and allows increased hydration of dry areas.
Masks: Exfoliates dead surface cells as it hydrates and moisturizes the skin.
Types of Masks:
- Facial Masks for normal to dry skin: Help relax facial muscles and remove dry flaky skin.
- Facial Masks for oily skin: Refines skinís texture and deep cleans to help control surface sebum.
- Pore Packs: Are designed to eliminate blackheads and reduce blemishes. Mostly used for oily skin.
Foundation Protection: Foundation protects the skin by keeping moisture in and dirt out with the added benefit of a flawless finish. This is a step that some women skip because they donít quit know how to apply it and are not getting the right look. A couple of suggestions: make sure you have the type that is compatible with your complexion, test the color on your jaw line and it should be the same color as your complexion and make sure you have exfoliated (if not the foundation will show up as flaky).
Types of Foundation:
- Full Coverage: used for normal to dry skin for extra hydration.
- Medium Coverage: used for normal to oily skin.
Whatever your skin type take care of it by keeping it clean. Cleanse, tone and moisturize every morning and every night. Irregular or improper cleansing causes skin problems and makeup that is left on the skin will dull the skinís surface; while oil and dead skin cells will clog the pores and cause blackheads.
Sheila Dicks is a wardrobe and image consultant who teaches women how to look slimmer by dressing to suit their body type. Visit her at http://www.sheilasfashionsense.com to download a copy of her e-book Image Makeovers and get How to Build a Wardrobe free.