What is Booktype / BitSetting?
What is Booktype / BitSetting?
Use the bitsetting (Set Booktype) feature in your bitsetting software to set your DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL Media (Only DVD+R/+RW Media) backup to DVD-ROM for much higher compatibility with older DVD players and Game Consoles such as XBOX and PS2. Bitsetting is done during the burning process when bitsetting DVD+R Media. You can also set/change your DVD+RW Media's bitsetting/booktype, but the difference is that you can be bitset DVD+RW Media even AFTER you have burned it.
Here are directions on how to Bitset or Change the BookType with DVD Decrypter on Plextor, NEC, BenQ, LG, LITE-ON, Nu Tech/QSI and Ricoh Burners. There is no one best bitsetting utility out there, if it works for your burner it works. If you have other burners please refer to other Bitsetting Programs
DVD Decrypter Updated 6/6/2005: "DVD Decrypter 184.108.40.206 is the last version you"ll ever see." - Quote from Author LIGHTNING UK! about DVD Decrypter v220.127.116.11 Utility for your Burner. This program is no longer available as a result of copyright infringement.
Change Your DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL Media to DVD-ROM
1. This tutorial assumes that you have a working ISO to burn
2. Put in a Blank DVD+R or DVD+RW Disk into your DVD Burner
3. Open up the DVD Decrypter
4. Select your dvd burner
Booktype Step 1: DVD Burner Selection
5. Click on Mode > ISO > Write To see your current settings
Booktype Step 2: Write Selection
6. Right click on the destination box which has your burner selected then highlight and select "Change Book Type":
Booktype Step 3: Change Book Type
7. Then select your respected burner's name which are on the tabs:
Booktype Step 4: Select Burner Tab
8. The Change For is basically what media you want to change to DVD-ROM, (i.e For DVD+R Media, For DVD+RW Media)
Booktype Step 5: Select Burner Tab
Booktype Step 6: Select Media You Want to Bitset
9. Now for New Setting: which you should select "DVD-ROM":
Booktype Step 7: Select DVD-ROM
10. Click on the "Change" button, which will then show a Success pop up window
Booktype Step 8: Change Button
11. Click on "OK" to close the "Change Book Type" window
12. Start burning! By Clicking the write button (Picture of Hard drive to DVD)
Booktype Step 9: Write & Burn
Bitsetting unfortunately has its restrictions when it comes to which burner can bitset. Burners that cannot be bitset are burners which are not Ricoh engine based, which bitsetting has based its technology around. For other burners that are not Ricoh Burners you can try the following bitsetting utilities found in the article/links below:
1. A very nice Bitsetting article titled: Apply Compatibility Bitsettings using a DVD+R/+RW PC Drive by DVDplusRW.org. You can also download the software DVD BitSetter.
2. Or DVDInfoPro - Bitsetting capable for LG, BENQ, NU, NEC, BTC, Liteon, Micro Advantage
3. Or DVD Decrypter - Bitsetting capable for Plextor, NEC, BenQ, LG, LITE-ON, Nu Tech/QSI and Ricoh Burners
4. For NEC Burners (excluding ND-2500A) you can use a programs called: WinBtype or DVD Bitsetter. If you have an ND-2500A, you can use patched firmwares to enable its bitsetting, which can be found here in the forum: ND-2500A Bitsetting Firmware.
Article by Mike Ly for K-probe.com
Want to post this article or reference this article? You can take our content Free of Charge if you agree to leave everything intact included this message.
About the Author
Article from www.k-probe.com